Liza Minnelli Stepping Out! 2015

Liza Minnelli Stepping Out! 2015

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Brevard fans look forward to Minnelli's return to King Center











Liza Minnelli at King CenterJanuary 2006 Florida Today File PhotoKing Center. Liza Minnelli performs at the King Center for the Performing Arts.


The last time Liza Minnelli wrapped up a performance at the King Center was January 2006.
She had finished two acts of full force entertainment and stood down center facing the audience. Hot, exhausted and wet from sweat, she peeled off her fake eyelashes then wiped her face with a white terry cloth towel.
What was left was pure, authentic Liza. She spread her arms wide and beamed her trademark crooked smile and sang a cappella "I'll Be Seeing You."
"It says all the right things I want to say, but I'm not smart enough to say," Minnelli said recently.
It sure said the right thing to the audience, because they went wild for Liza.
"It was the best show I've seen at the King Center," said fan Brad Cerson of Satellite Beach.
As far as pulling off those fake eyelashes, Minnelli laughed and said she does not do that for every show.
"No, I sure don't," she said. "It's hard to keep them on when you perspire. The first thing with me is my hair gets wet. I took them off because I couldn't see."
Ruth Taylor of Satellite Beach saw her do that. She said the audience loved the moment because it acknowledged the 150 percent she gave. It's the same kind of show you'd expect to see from her in Broadway or Las Vegas theaters, Taylor said.
"I personally felt we were more special because it was a smaller group," Taylor said. "I almost felt like it was an intimate encounter with Liza."
Taylor already has her orchestra seat tickets for this concert.
For sure, there is a love/love relationship between Minnelli and her audience.
"If I paid good money to go see a performer, I expect my money's worth," Minnelli said. "So there's no way I'm not going to give my audience their money's worth."
Minnelli said she loves performing and that her show is meant to entertain through and through: "In a funny kind of way, you know how when you're in a terrible mood and you see a really funny movie, that sense of relief? It changes your mind just for a second, and you take your mind off yourself. I guess that's my job. That's what I think of as entertainment."
Contact Harbaugh at 242-3717 or pharbaugh@floridatoday.com.

No comments: