Liza Minnelli Stepping Out! 2015

Liza Minnelli Stepping Out! 2015

Friday, January 1, 2010

A Matter Of Time...a fan review by Emilio Valdes


I remember going to the cimena to watch AMOT armed with my tape recorder hidden in my backpack. Of course, I had to watch it several times so I would know when to turn the recorder on before each song began. The cassette tape is now lost, but the songs still ring clear in my head like the day I first heard them.

Did the movie have its flaws? Yes it did. Did I care? No, because the film was visiually stunning. Liza seldom looked better than in that film. The songs, original and otherwise (Do It Again), were great. I remember being touched and inspired to this day by the song The Me I Haven't Met Yet.

On a separate, but related note, I will never understand why Liza didn't even acknowledge the film during Minnelli on Minnelli. In my opinion, she should have opened the show with A Matter of Time, it's lyrics appropriate to the show in every conceivable level.

I know I'll get all these responses about how Minnelli was disappointed with the end result and how the producers edited the hell out of it and all of that. Spare me, I've read all the stories. At the end of the day, the fact remains that:

- MOM was supposed to honor Vincente Minnelli's fims through the songs from those films and AMOT was the only film directed by Vincente in which Liza starred and sang several original songs.

I LOVED MOM. Saw it twice. But there seemed to be a huge white elephant in that theater that the production chose to ignore.

I can't and will never be able to understand that decision.

Emilio

No comments: