Liza Minnelli Stepping Out! 2015

Liza Minnelli Stepping Out! 2015

Monday, October 11, 2010

Liza Minnelli doesn't get gay fans' affinity for her...

So much for Ms. Minnelli feeding off of the love from her gay fans. In an interview for the November issue of The Advocate, she barely acknowledges her gay fan base and says she doesn't think they like her for any special reason.


"I don't know what gay people see in my music," she tells journalist Michael Joseph Gross. "I really haven't thought about it. I think they see what everyone else sees in my music."

Minnelli also shies away from questions about the sexuality of some of her former husbands and concedes – after some prodding – that she and her mother Judy Garland may have what Gross calls a "shared affinity for gay men."

"That makes sense," she says after Gross details that Garland and Minnelli both married gay men. "I understand. And I'm glad you said it. ... And, honey, I wish I had more to say about it, but I don't."

At the end of the interview, Minnelli apologizes to Gross for not being "dreary enough."

"I think you wanted to talk about pain an darkness and suffering and difficulty, and I think I disappointed you, because I see the glass as half full, and I want to talk about what's happy and positive, because that's what life is about."

Tags:Judy Garland Liza Minnelli

No comments: