Liza Minnelli Stepping Out! 2015

Liza Minnelli Stepping Out! 2015

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Liza's "Journey Back To Oz" Soundtrack"

I was recently searching the world wide web for a CD copy of the soundtrack to "Journey Back To Oz" with Liza. I've come to find that it never received an official CD release. But I found something interesting. Check out the following link:


http://castalbums.org/recordings/Journey_Back_to_Oz_1964_Film_Soundtrack/3245

The first LP release on the "Filmation" label has the original songs as I remember them from the film. The second LP release listed from the "Rescued from Oblivion" label has a couple of slight differences. First, Peter Lawford is listed as performing all the Scarecrow's songs (done in the film by Mickey Rooney.) Then, there's an extra song listed for Ethel Merman's Mombi the Witch. A tune called "Keep a Gloomy Thought" which is obviously to work in contrast against Liza's "Keep a Happy Thought".

This is all new to me! I had never seen this listing before. Is there indeed an alternate soundtrack in existence? Was Peter Lawford hired originally to play the Scarecrow? Did Merman have an extra song? Does this mean there's an alternate version of the movie or are these just outtakes? Is there a interesting behind the scenes story about the creation of the film?

If there is an alternate version....I'd LOVE to hear it. In the meantime, anyone know where I might lay my hand on a copy of the complete soundtrack?

-Bobby

1 comment:

Rajun Cajun Voodoo Queen said...

I have the original sound track musical story album journey back to Oz, with original CD that came with it. I am looking for a buyer.
My name is Monique u can email me at darealmoniquemccall@gmail.com